A View from the Virtual Parking Lot

I have long maintained that the most important things in a mom's life are learned in the parking lot after a PTO meeting.

Friday, November 24, 2006

Make-up!

Remember the Muppet Show and the guy yelling, "Make-up!" every week? I do. It was always funny in that context. In regard to my own tween, it's not exactly as funny.

FirstKid is twelve and in her second year of middle school. She is a foo-foo kind of kid to begin with, but also is, in some ways, in a hurry to grow up. She tells me she sees her school peers wearing tons of make-up every day to school, and she is correct. I've checked it out, and indeed, many girls her age are wearing make-up. However, just because all the other kids' moms let them wear make-up doesn't mean I'll let mine.

I freely admit that I'm old-fashioned. LabDad is, as well, so at least we have a united front at home. I don't swear, gamble, or drink. I don't care for tattoos or odd piercings. It's just how I am. Jackie O was my fashion icon - a black dress and a strand of pearls, and I'm done. That being said, I'd love to say that I'm all for self-expression and diversity, but really, I'm not as open-minded as I ought to be.

Interestingly, over the past few months, a strange thing has happened. When seventh grade hit, FirstKid was all about make-up, accessories, the "right" shirts and jeans. Then, as party and Bar Mitzvah season hit and she found herself invited to a whole lot of fancy affairs, she made sure that the upscale dresses and heels were perfect. She started the season with the usual begging, that she really wanted to wear it, she is old enough, all of other girls are wearing it, and so forth. I admit to giving in, just for the really fancy events, and FirstKid did go easy on the goods: mascara, eye liner, light shadow, and tinted lip gloss. Somehow, though, over the past month, the party make-up has all but disappeared, and the daily routine is just mascara (she has blonde eyelashes, so I sort of understand).

Just when you think you have it all figured out, the rules change.

No comments: